Monday, January 18, 2010

the grocery store

Well I have loved grocery shopping for sometime now. No, really I do. In fact that was my first outing with Cody, my husband. I was a senior in high school, he was a junior in college. I was a mature but young woman, he was a seeker....He was seeking my father, a seasoned minister and pastor of the church we both attended. We'd had conversations at church activities before but this was the first time we'd done anything together, not that we were "interested" in each other. He came looking for my dad, I was headed to the grocery store. Dad wasn't there, which makes all the sense in the world to me now, he rarely sits still. As I remember Cody came in, waited a few minutes, made conversation and was not in a hurry to leave. Now mom was taken and my younger sister was well,too young for this guy so I saved them both and invited him to go with me to the grocery store. Since getting my license I did this a lot, mom gave me a list, a check and I headed to Homeland in search of culinary delight. It was early November smack dab in the middle of the 90's and all the end isle displays at Homeland were thanksgiving related -translation- pies. "I love pie" "Pumpkin Pie is my favorite" " I can't wait for thanksgiving" "I wonder how you make that pumpkin pie?" "My mom makes a wonderful pie" "I like apple too" He never had a problem talking. I got what we needed, wrote the check- (oh how I miss mom's blank checks) and we went back to my home. Dad was still m.i.a- so Cody left for awhile....

to be continued...

1 comment:

Shawna said...

I really enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks so much for sharing with us!