Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Why

I entered a competition.

Fit Friends.

I know 2 people out of the 80plus participating. And I am fully convinced I am going to win! lol, I'm very competitive and highly motivated by rewards.

I am #62, this is also a number I follow on the football field on Friday nights.

Here's the link to the "Fit Friends" if you want more info on that.

Last Friday night I sat for 6 hours listening to a forum on the Gospel of Jesus Christ and what that means to me. God used the open discussion on repentance to get my attention. The question was asked, " when's the last time you repented." What does or should repentance look like in our churches?

My mind went to the forever fight against my flesh and my lack of self control in the area of eating.

When's the last time I saw this as God sees it- blatant disobedience.

James 4:17
Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.


The Lord had already been stirring my heart towards self control but I had no accountability. No one would ask me every week, "Are you doing the good things you know you should?" "Are you exercising? Are you eating in moderation?"


It's not that I didn't ask for some help, they just weren't checking up on me.


The next morning I had an invite on my facebook page for Fit Friends. It was exactly what I needed, motivation and accountability. 


I know in my life when God wants to work on a particular area of disobedience he does it lovingly with much grace. A friend told me this verse this week...




Romans 2

 1You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. 2Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. 3So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? 4Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance

I underlined the verse, giving you also context.

When I was in Nepal last year and was acutely aware of how much food is wasted and consumed in America it made me sick, I wanted to change. Eat less, give more away. But here in my country/culture food and excess is EVERYWHERE. It felt too big to change. So I did nothing.

One thing our "leader" in this Fit Friends said was define your WHY- when you want to give in take 15 min. to remember your WHY. Why are you doing what your doing? So here's my why....

1. Because it is sin. Sin known and not repented of is like a slap in our Savior's face, he endured great pain for my salvation and I have not lived up to the honor of being the 'bride of Christ" (bride of Christ being those who have excepted his salvation and live accordingly)
2. Because my husband needs to see me taking care of myself for him and our children.
3. Because none of my clothes fit!

And I am sorry, I never wanted to make my blog about weight loss, I have a weird relationship with weight loss. But this is my life and I am here to share it.

What's God telling you to repent of? God in his grace is asking us to make the most of these days we've been given, and he is faithful to reveal it through the Holy Spirit- just ask him

When's the last time you repented?

What does that look like? For me it means change not merely, "I'm sorry"....a changed mind and changed habits/behaviors

I am measuring, eating less than I have, no caffeine, creamer and sugary drinks- and exercising. There's more to this forever fight, I'll digress later....

4 comments:

Beth said...

Hello, fellow Fit Friend ~ I stopped by after reading Nik's post earlier this week, and I have to applaud you for what you wrote. Know that you're not alone; I am in the exact same boat and my whys are the same as yours. I keep coming back to 1 Corinthians 6:19-20:

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who is in you, Whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Thanks for posting, thanks for sharing. I don't know anyone in this competition but Nikki (and I probably haven't seen her in 20 years!), but know that you are being prayed for from Colorado.

God bless ~
#63

totegirl said...

Beth, thanks for stopping by and commenting...makes a bloggers day! stop by often I'll keep ya posted on my end...I'll be looking out for ya since I know your # now! I am going to post all my "fighting verses" soon. And btw I don't live in Marlow either...I only know a couple of ppl in it

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm #13. week 3 and I am already struggling. Thankyou for doing a Blog, every little bit helps to keep me focused. I only know a few people in the challenge as well, but I believe you don't have to now someone to send your love and support their way, so I am sending mine along to all of you. Good luck to all of you, and I am looking forward to hearing more.
Love from Utah

totegirl said...

ok #13 we'll be cheering you on in utah!!! I have family in salt lake city, btw keep checking back in look under weightloss contest up top, it'll have all posts related- I think what's been missing for me is the accountability and encouragment. We need each other